- Stephen Weiss And Detroit Red Wings Struggle Early
- NHL Atlantic Division Predictions 2013-14
- 2013 NHL Playoffs: Western Conference Preview and Predictions
- NHL Final Day Preview: Western Conference
- Do or Die Time For Detroit Red Wings’ Playoff Streak
- Surreal NHL Sunday: A New Forsberg and Detroit Red Wings Struggles
- NHL Western Conference Playoff Race: Schedule Breakdown
- Detroit Red Wings Are Still Dangerous
- Columbus Blue Jackets Solve Detroit Red Wings AGAIN
- Are The Detroit Red Wings Asking Too Much Of Niklas Kronwall?
The National Hockey League (NHL) team the Detroit Red Wings are based out of Detroit, Michigan. The team plays in the Western Conference’s Central Division. The Red Wings are one of the NHL’s Original Six teams along with the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.
The Red Wings as of 2011 have won 11 Stanley Cup championships, the most of any U.S. based NHL franchise and overall third in total number of NHL championships, trailing only the 24 of the Montreal Canadiens and 13 of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Their home games are currently played at Joe Louis Arena, which has a seating capacity of 20,066. They played in Olympia Stadium before that for more than 40 years. The Red Wings have long been one of the NHL’s most popular franchises. Commentators and fans refer to the Detroit area as “hockey town.”
From 1933 through 1966, the Red Wings made the playoffs each year except four times. The Red Wings more recently have made the last 25 of 27 playoffs, including 20 consecutive ones from 1991 through 2011, which currently is the longest post-season appearance streak for all professional North American sports.